Sunday, January 31, 2010

Got the Itch.


Looks like I caught the travel bug again! I'm beginning to think I have a weak immune system when it comes to that darn bug, because it doesn't take long for me to want to go somewhere else new and exciting. We last went to Tokyo in November. That was a BLAST! Tokyo is an amazing city, so much to do!

Now that we only have 8 months or so left in this part of the world, I REALLY want to go somewhere cool. We have been to Australia & New Zealand, a little bit of Taiwan, then Tokyo, while Cameron--thanks to the military--has also been to Korea, Thailand, and Afghanistan. I can't just leave it at that! No, that list is far too short in my opinion. As much as I would die to go back to New Zealand, it's just so darned expensive to fly that far.

So where to go, where to go? AHA!


Singapore! Bali! Kuala Lumpur! Bangkok?

We are definitely going to go to Singapore and then stay in Bali for 6 days or so! Singapore is close and clean--I mean, you have to be if you outlaw chewing gum! I hear they have a great zoo too. And I love zoos! Especially since Isaac is a walker now, by then he will be year old and I think he will really enjoy it. And who on earth wouldn't love to go to Bali? Seriously, from where we are it is not that far away and much cheaper than it would be to get to from the states. I doubt that we will ever be in the part of the world again, at least for a decade or more--unless of course the military has other plans.

For the price of one ticket to New Zealand our entire family can fly to Singapore and Bali! My good friend A suggested that we go to Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia while we are in Singapore since it is so close. I found that we can take a train, about 6hrs, to K.L. from Singapore. The best part is it would be well under $100 for all of us to ride AND get a cabin with beds and A/C (if I can reserve them of course). Still. What a blast! I really think it would be cool to head up to Bangkok too, since the train that runs from Singapore to K.L. also goes up to Bangkok, in a 48 hr trip. I think we might be able to do it if I can find a good deal on one way tickets to Singapore and from Bangkok to Okinawa. That's the hardest part.

Best case scenario is we will fly out of Okinawa and fly to Bali via Singapore, stay for 6 days. From Bali head to Singapore, hang for a few more days. Take the train from Singapore to Kuala Lumpur, explore for a day or two. From there, hopefully, either fly or take the train to Bangkok and spend some time site seeing there. From there, fly back home to Okinawa. Like I said, that is all ideally speaking. Why might not be able to do Bangkok all together. I really want to try though! My jealous side does not want my husband to be the only one in our family who has been to Thailand! I'm sorry Honey, but you can't have all the fun!

I am SO excited! April is going to be awesome! Anyone want to come with?



All this talk about travel has revived my memories of our past travels in the last 3 years. Stay tuned for future posts where I relive those "glory days".

2 comments:

  1. Oh man how lucky you are to have some time in that part of the world. I would love to have an outpost in Southeast Asia to hop around and see those countries that are so affordable! But you are right the most expensive part is getting there. I would love to spend a couple months just flitting around. I hope you do get to go to Bali that seems like it would be simply splendid!

    ReplyDelete
  2. SOmetimes i think it would be amazing to travel around... but i also cant imagine what you go through as far as settling down!!!! You are a strong person!

    -Lo

    ReplyDelete